Have you and your ex decided to use Mediation to resolve your post-separation issues? This process is designed to help you and your ex to work together rather than as adversaries from the very start of your negotiations. The following are some key questions you may want to ask yourself before the process begins:
- What are the 5 most important goals you would like to accomplish through mediation and why? What would your ex’s be and why?
- What are your 5 biggest concerns / worries about the separation / divorce? What would your ex’s be?
- What are your concerns about participating in Mediation or about the court alternative (if mediation fails)?
- What issues would you like resolved during Mediation?
- What are 2 trigger points you have with the other party? What are your ex’s triggers?
Once you have completed your answers, give them to your Mediator to review so that they can better assist you with meeting your expectations in Mediation.