Stephanie L. Dobson
Understanding that strong emotions are involved, Stephanie Dobson helps clients view separation and divorce in perspective to move through the process more smoothly. Stephanie believes that framing divorce as a transition and not an end in itself enables clients to take an active role in making important decisions. By shifting emphasis to the future, she assists clients in defusing conflict, working through issues in a less volatile way, and achieving resolution sooner.
Stephanie uses her caring, results-focused approach to help growth-minded, coachable parents navigate a family separation while they connect with and support their children. Using an extensive knowledge of matrimonial law, exclusive parent-learning resources, and an expert family support network, in the end, she empowers clients to make a plan to “write a new family story” based on developing lifelong, peaceful, positive, and thriving relationships.
She is adept at handling complex cases that involve child custody, child support, division of property, and spousal support claims, utilizing her skills as a Family Mediator and Collaborative Divorce Lawyer to expand the range of creative solutions, and keep families out of the court system. Stephanie’s clients appreciate her high level of communication and responsiveness, and her adoption of cutting-edge technology. With every divorce, Stephanie’s goal is to minimize the emotional and financial costs by focusing on the future, staying out of court, and bringing about an efficient resolution.
As an educator, Stephanie is the founder of Up A Notch Learning Inc., an e-learning platform to empower separating and divorcing families with a collection of free resources and affordable course content to help families make informed decisions so they can thrive.
In addition to her practice, Stephanie also enjoys being Chair of the Board of Directors of the Alberta Law Foundation and a Director of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP). Stephanie is proud to be a co-founder and active volunteer with the Lloydminster Community Legal Clinic which offers FREE legal advice to the Lloydminster and surrounding area.
Stephanie enjoys staying active and spending quality time with her husband and three children. Stephanie has recently learned the sport of triathlon, and it has quickly become a passion!
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law (2005)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Pacific & Asian Studies (Dean’s List), University of Victoria, Faculty of Arts (2001)
- Exchange Program, Doshisha University, Kyoto Japan, Japanese Language Centre (1999-2000, 2001)
- Dogwood Diploma (French Immersion), Hugh McRoberts High School (1997)
- Henka Divorce Law & Mediation – Proprietor (2020-present)
- Up A Notch Learning Inc. – Founder, CEO and content creator (2020-present)
- Government Northwest Territories – Contract Mediator (2013-present)
- Meridian Law Group – Partner (2015-2020)
- Dispute Resolution Office Saskatchewan – Contract Mediator (2009-2012)
- Alberta Justice, Family Justice Services – Contract Mediator (2009-2016)
- Alberta Justice, Parenting After Separation Seminar – Instructor (2009-2016)
- Kindrachuk Dobson, Lawyers & Mediators – Proprietor (2006-2014)
- Miller Thomson LLP – Articled Student (2005-2006), Litigation Database Operator (2001-2005)
- Women In Law and Leadership Awards, Canadian Bar Association – Leadership in the Profession (Private Practice) and Leadership in the Community (Nominee, 2015)
- Today’s Woman, Meridian Source Lloydminster (Featured Woman, 2022)
- Business Excellence Awards, Lloydminster Chamber of Commerce – Community Spirit Award (Nominee, 2021)
- Business Excellence Awards, Lloydminster Chamber of Commerce – Integrity Award (Recipient, 2008)
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International (Two-Time Recipient, 2003)
Professional Memberships (Current)
- Regulatory Bodies – Law Society of Alberta and Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Collaborative Divorce – Association of Collaborative Family Professionals – Edmonton, Collaborative Divorce Alberta Association, Collaborative Professionals of Canada, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Mediation – Alberta Family Mediation Society, Family Mediation Canada, ADR Institute of Canada, ADR Institute of Alberta
- Other – Battleford Bar Association, Lloydminster Chamber of Commerce, Canadian Bar Association, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (Alberta Chapter and International Member)
Directorships & Leadership Positions
- Alberta Law Foundation – Director (2012-present), Chair (2020-present)
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals – Director (2022-present)
- Lloydminster Community Legal Clinic (pro bono) – Volunteer & Co-Founder (2015-present)
- Legal Education Society of Alberta – Director (2013-2022), Vice Chair (2020-2022)
- Battlefords Bar Association – President (2012-2022)
- Collaborative Divorce Alberta Association – Director (2009-2018), Chair (2014-2015)
- Lloydminster Interval Home Society – Director (2008-2011), Vice Chair (2009-2011)
- Lloydminster Chamber of Commerce – Director (2007-2011)
- Rotary Club of Lloydminster – Member (2006-2013)
- Rotaract Club of Richmond – Member (2001-2004), President 2002-2003)
- Using Technology in Mediation & Collaborative Divorce
- Increase Your Collaborative Practice Through Effective Intake and Initial Consultations
- Paperless Office Strategies
- Divorce and the Family Farm